PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
- Agrawal, N., & Cox, R. S. (Eds.). (2019). Natural disasters and 150th commemoration of Canada as a country [special issue]. Natural Hazards, 98(1).
- Cox, R. S., & Danford, T. (2014). The need for a systematic approach to disaster psychosocial response: A suggested competency framework. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, 29(2), 183–189.
- Cox, R. S., & Hamlen, M. (2015). Community Disaster Resilience and the Rural Resilience Index. American Behavioral Scientist, 59(2), 220–237.
- Cox, R. S., Hill, T. T., Plush, T., Heykoop, C., & Tremblay, C. (2019). More than a checkbox: Engaging youth in disaster risk reduction and resilience in Canada. Natural Hazards, 98(1), 213–227.
- Cox, R. S., Irwin, P., Scannell, L., Ungar, M., & Dixon-Bennett, T. (2017b). Children and youth’s biopsychosocial wellbeing in the context of energy resource activities. Environmental Research, 158, 499–507.
- Cox, R. S., Scannell, L., Heykoop, C., Tobin-Gurley, J., & Peek, L. (2017). Understanding youth disaster recovery: The vital role of people, places, and activities. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 22, 249–256.
- Fletcher, S., Cox, R. S., Scannell, L., Tobin-Gurley, J., & Peek, L. (2016). Youth creating disaster recovery and resilience: A multi-site arts-based youth engagement research project. Children, Youth and Environments, 26(1).
- Fletcher, S., & Mullett, J. (2016). Digital stories as a tool for health promotion and youth engagement. Canadian Journal of Public Health = Revue Canadienne de Santé Publique, 107(2), e183–e187.
- Godsoe, M., Ladd, M., & Cox, R. S. (2019). Assessing Canada’s disaster baselines and projections under the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction: A modeling tool to track progress. Natural Hazards, 98(1), 293–317.
- Heykoop, C., & Adoch, J. (2017). Our stories, our own ways: Exploring alternatives for young people’s engagement in truth commissions. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 23(1), 14–22.
- Murphy, B. L., Bowles, R., Anderson, G., & Cox, R. S. (2014). Planning for disaster resilience in rural, remote, and coastal communities: Moving from thought to action. Journal of Emergency Management, 12(2), 105–120.
- Peek, L., Tobin-Gurley, J., Cox, R. S., Scannell, L., Fletcher, S., & Heykoop, C. (2016). Engaging youth in post-disaster research: Lessons learned from a creative methods approach. Gateways: International Journal of Community Research and Engagement, 9(1), 89–112–189–112.
- Scannell, L., Cox, R. S., & Fletcher, S. (2017). Place-based loss and resilience among disaster-affected youth. Journal of Community Psychology, 45(7), 859–876.
- Scannell, L., Cox, R. S., Fletcher, S., & Heykoop, C. (2016). “That was the last time I saw my house”: The importance of place attachment among children and youth in disaster contexts. American Journal of Community Psychology, 58(1–2), 158–173.
- Cox, R. S., Irwin, P., Scannell, L., Ungar, M., & Dixon-Bennett, T. (2017a). Children and youth’s biopsychosocial wellbeing in the context of energy resource activities. Environmental Research, 158, 499–507.
- Plush, T., & Cox, R. S. (2019). Hey, Hey, Hey—Listen to What I Gotta Say: Songs Elevate Youth Voice in Alberta Wildfire Disaster Recovery. Engaged Scholar Journal: Community-Engaged Research, Teaching, and Learning, 5(2), 181–194.
- Heykoop, C. (2018). “Our Stories, Our Way”: Interdisciplinary Applied Research Exploring the Safe and Meaningful Engagement of Young People in Post-Conflict Truth Telling in Northern Uganda. In S. Pulla & B. Schissel (Eds.), Applied Interdisciplinarity in Scholar Practitioner Programs: Narratives of Social Change (pp. 135–149). Springer International Publishing.
- Peek, L., Abramson, D. M., Cox, R. S., Fothergill, A., & Tobin-Gurley, J. (2018). Children and Disasters. In H. Rodríguez, W. Donner, & J. Trainor (Eds.), Handbook of Disaster Research. Handbooks of Sociology and Social Research. Springer.
- Scannell, L., Li Qin Tan, Cox, R. S., & Gifford, R. (2020). Place attachment, well-being, and resilience. In K. Bishop & N. Marshall, The Routledge Handbook of People and Place in the 21st-Century City. Routledge.
- Tobin-Gurley, J., Cox, R. S., Peek, L., Pybus, K., Maslenitsyn, D., & Heykoop, C. (2016). Youth Creating Disaster Recovery and Resilience in Canada and the United States: Dimensions of the Male Youth Experience. In Men, Masculinities, and Disaster (pp. 152–161). Routledge.
MANUSCRIPTS IN PROGRESS
- Cox, R. S., Heykoop, C., Fletcher, S., Hill, T. T., Scannell, L., Wright, L. H. V., Alexander, K., Deans, N., & Plush, T. (2020). Creative Action Research [Manuscript in Review].
- Scannell, L., & Cox, R. S. (2020). Meaningful youth engagement in climate action [Manuscript in preparation].